As the nights start to get a bit warmer, you may be thinking about a lighter duvet, but with so many options out there, it can be difficult to see the wood for the trees (and speaking of trees, we’ll get to that a little further on in this blog!). So, with keeping cooler in mind, we’ve put some pointers below and if you’d like more information, then we’re here to help.
Firstly, each one of our duvets is individually handcrafted, here in Devon, by our brilliant seamstresses. We only use natural fibres for our fillings because they are breathable and better for temperature regulation, unlike synthetic fibres, which can trap heat and make you feel hotter. Natural fibres are also sustainable and eco-friendly too, because when it’s time to replace your duvet, it won’t sit in landfill for decades. You can even use the filling for compost in your garden!
Secondly, we often get asked when the best time is for making the switch to a summer duvet. Although this will depend on when you are starting to feel a bit too warm under your winter duvet, there are other factors to consider, such as the ambient temperature in your bedroom. Natural fibres have the ability to adjust to this, releasing or retaining heat and thereby helping to keep your core body temperature level. The time taken for this adjustment to take place depends on the tog rating of your duvet. For example, with our lightweight 100% British wool duvet, there is one layer of wool, so it can react more quickly to warmer temperatures, releasing heat, whereas our medium (warmer weight) wool duvets, has two layers so the adjustment will take slightly longer in a warm bedroom. The same applies to our other lightweight duvet options. This makes a lightweight natural fibre duvet a great choice for the summer.
We’ve put some information below about the lighter tog duvets available in our range of natural duvets, together with their features and benefits. However, if you’d like to chat through any options, then please do get in touch with the team by email or by calling 01752 345399. They will ask you some easy-to-answer questions that will help guide you through the selection process.
100% British wool lightweight duvet (4 – 7 togs):
- Made with traceable, soft, high grade, naturally white 100% British wool, from our selected group of British farmers and certified by the British Wool organisation.
- The wool is cleaned in British mills without the use of bleach or chemicals, to retain as much of the properties of the natural fibres as possible.
- The wool needled to create ‘loft’. This ‘loft’ creates softness and also traps air to maximise the breathability and temperature regulating properties of the fibres.
- The wool is encased in 260 thread count 100% cotton (another breathable fibre).
- In addition to being breathable and temperature regulating, wool is also naturally resistant to dust mites and the build-up of micro bacteria so is hypoallergenic and hygienic.
- Find out more here.
100% British alpaca wool lightweight duvet (3 – 6 togs):
- Made with luxurious, fine, naturally white 100% Alpaca wool, from British alpaca farmers, approved by the British Alpaca Society.
- The alpaca wool is cleaned in British mills without the use of bleach of chemicals.
- As with our sheep’s wool fibres, the alpaca fibres are needled to create ’loft’. Alpaca fibres are finer than sheep’s wool fibres and so this creates a lighter layer, resulting in a lower tog rating but is still cosy.
- The alpaca wool is encased in 260 thread count 100% cotton.
- Alpaca wool is also resistant to dust mites and the build-up of micro bacteria.
- Find out more here.
Now for the bit about trees, that we’ve mentioned above!
Botanic lightweight (4 – 6 togs) or ultralight duvet (2 – 4 togs):
- Made with 100% plant-based fibres, that comes from FSC certified wood sources. The fibre contains TENCELäLyocell, created through an ECO award-winning process.
- The fibres are needled to create soft, silky layers that trap air and have excellent breathable and moisture wicking properties, which helps with temperature regulation. The same fibres are used in many types of athletic clothing for this reason.
- The filling is encased in a super soft fabric, made from the same 100% plant-based fibres.
- Our Botanic duvets are hypoallergenic and are also vegan-friendly, as approved by the Vegan Society.
- Find out more here.